- Navigate to the page on which the video is hosted (just click on the 'YouTube' or 'Vimeo' sign on the embedded video, it should open in a new tab).
- Copy the URL from the address bar.
- Paste this into the body of your post on the forums.
The software that runs the UKBouldering forums (SMF) has been configured to recognise these URLs as being pages on YouTube or Vimeo where videos are hosted and will automatically sort out their embedding.
Things to avoid which will prevent this from working.
- Do not use the "Embed" links on videos, these are wikipedia:html and will not be understood by the forums.
- Do not paste the URL from the "fullscreen" view, this won't work either.
- Make sure Vimeo links to not start 'https://' remove the 's' so that they start 'http://'
- While it's possible for Vimeo Plus users to create a Custom URL for their films, these don't work for embedding- use the standard one that ends in a string of numbers
Bonus : Downloading Videos to Watch later
Sometimes you might wish to download a longer video, perhaps to take away and watch on a trip. Some people make their videos available for download, but others restrict this. There are however ways around this.
Use YouTube-DL to download pretty much any video you come across.
The simplest method to download YouTube videos is to add the text pwn right before the youtube part of the URL (the address in the bar of your browser). So if the URL is...
...you should type...
This will take you to a site where there are links to various services for downloading the video. The usual caveats apply about being cautious of downloading files (i.e. check for viruses etc.).